Ribble Drive Community Primary School

Be the best you can be


SEND Provision
Home Key Information SEND Provision
We recognise the definition of Special Educational Needs (SEN) described in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014.

A child has special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • Have significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.
  • Children are not considered to have a special educational need if they speak English as an additional language.


Our ethos is inclusive and we work hard with families and with outside agencies to ensure the best possible educational outcomes for all of our children, irrespective of their level of need.

Our objectives are:

  • To identify pupils with SEN as early as possible and to ensure that their needs are met.
  • To provide an environment where barriers to learning and participation are reduced to a minimum, therefore encouraging children to feel respected, confident and able to succeed.
  • To provide all our children with a broad, balanced and stimulating curriculum that is differentiated to the needs and ability of the individual.
  • To be sympathetic to each child’s needs by providing a strong partnership between children, parents, school and outside agencies.
  • To ensure all pupils make effective progress and realise their full potential.
  • To ensure all pupils take a full and active part in school life.


Categories of SEN

Children’s SEN are generally thought of in the following four main areas:

  • Cognition and Learning – this includes children who have moderate or specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.
  • Communication and Interaction – this includes children with speech and language delay and those with difficulties in social communication.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health – this includes children who may be withdrawn or isolated, disruptive, hyperactive or who lack concentration.
  • Physical and Sensory Issues – this includes children with impairments including hearing or visual difficulties, or other physical difficulties.

Special educational needs are categorised in this way in order to allow our school to plan for provision accordingly.



How do we cater for children with SEN?

In keeping with our inclusive ethos, we try to ensure that children receive support and intervention within class wherever possible. This support may take the form of teacher or teaching assistant support on a 1:1 or small group basis. It may also take the form of differentiated or hands-on tasks.

Some interventions do have to be undertaken out of the classroom and these will be integrated into the school day in order to minimise disruption to children’s learning. Interventions that are undertaken out of the classroom are speech and language plans, rehabilitation work and also booster sessions.


What can Ribble Drive Primary School and Bury LA offer to children with SEN?

In order to support parents of children with SEN, our school is required to produce an SEN Information Report. This report details information about what is on offer for parents and children with SEN at our school.

Our SEN Information Report forms part of Bury’s Local offer and can be accessed below.

The full local offer of services available in Bury can be found at


Contact Details

If you have any queries or would like any further information, either general or specific, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Emma Brown our SENCo via the school office on 0161 766 6625 or alternatively by email -